Website SEAT Center (Social Enterprise and Training Center)
Working alongside young people to build a SEAT at the Table
SEAT Center, a unique workforce development agency, is looking for an enthusiastic and experienced sous chef to assist with their culinary training program for students ages 18 – 24. This opportunity is for someone who believes in their craft and looks forward to sharing skills and experiences with students entering the culinary field and showcasing the opportunity in this field. You can look forward to having culinary responsibilities with work-life integration that respects the hard work in the kitchen and training blended with the ability to have most nights and weekends free, medical and dental insurance, and flexibility.
Our Culinary Lab is located in Albany and is supported by a team of individuals at two other locations. We believe in team, family, and second chances. You can be a part of something special that changes lives. In addition to training students, this role will be invited to cater lunches for businesses in the 518, parties and highly visible events. If you enjoy sharing your love of culinary with the opportunity to train others to be their best in this field and create an exciting career of their own, send your resume to SEAT Center c/o Sharon Phillips at email@example.com.
The Sous Chef/Culinary Trainer at SEAT Center works closely with students, training them in basic food preparation skills. Job duties include planning, preparing and executing meal production, inventory management, and executing menu and recipe standards. The Culinary Trainer is responsible for daily food production. This position will present strong restaurant knowledge and passion for working with culinary skills. This role requires a high level of culinary experience, refined leadership qualities and a deep understanding of kitchen operations from prep work to plating and presentation. This role works with our students to educate and support their knowledge of a high level of culinary skills to acquire careers in this industry.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Provide hands-on direct training with students on core kitchen competencies. Train students on following, modifying, and adapting recipes to meet production needs. Lead by example in areas of life skills, taking and delivering feedback, and maintaining a professional demeanor in the kitchen.
- Produce food of consistently high quality, taste and presentation. Expedite production and service during periods of demand as needed. Control food costs by utilizing the proper methods of food preparation, handling, and storage. Adhere and comply with recipes and product specifications.
- Collaborate with the Executive Chef to develop innovative and seasonal menu offerings while ensuring consistency and quality.
- Functioning as a team player and willing to work as a collaborative team member in a dynamic, ever-changing environment.
- Lead and supervise the kitchen team in the preparation, cooking and presentation of all menu items.
- Oversee inventory management, including ordering, receiving, and storing of ingredients and supplies,
- Monitor and control food costs and usage ensuring optimal profitability.
- Train and mentor culinary students offering guidance and support to develop their skills and knowledge.
- Collaborate with culinary instructors to design and execute culinary training programs for students.
- Maintain a safe, clean and organized kitchen environment adhering to all health and safety regulations.
- Conduct regular inspections to ensure equipment functionality and cleanliness.
- Stay updated with industry trends and advancements bringing new ideas and techniques to the kitchen.
- Compile data and generate reports related to student development.
- Present to various audiences.
- Create and provide follow-up actions on individual support service plans and goals.
- Maintain accurate and confidential records.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent – Formal culinary education preferred.
- 3+ years experience as a Sous Chef or similar role in a fast-paced restaurant environment and catering.
- Must have a current/valid NYS Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
- Experience working with underrepresented communities a plus.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong knowledge of restaurant operations, including ordering, inventory management and cost control.
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to inspire and motivate team members.
- Demonstrate ability to train and mentor culinary students, providing high-level instruction and feedback.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with the team members and culinary instructors.
- Demonstrated coaching style reflecting compassion, wisdom and integrity.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- ServSafe Certification is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and directly with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and economic backgrounds.
- Passion for SEAT Center’s mission to work alongside young people to build a seat at the table.
- Extremely organized and attentive to detail.
- Excellent communication – verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding the organizations overall business and its objectives
- Excellent time management, project management and ability to meet deadlines.
- Utilize good judgment and discretion.
- Follow through independently with problem solving and organizational skills on all tasks and projects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SEAT is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit seatcenter.org..